Sunday, January 19, 2014

30th Birthday Extravaganza

Last summer, just before Austin was born, Patrick asked me what I wanted for my 30th birthday. Without actually thinking it through, I answered "a girls' weekend". That set off a chain of thoughts in his head that resulted in an extravaganza far beyond what I had ever anticipated. He did hours of research, trying to make the event both cost-effective and a lot of fun at the same time for as many friends as possible. At no point did he grumble that I didn't ask for a getaway with him; instead he planned a trip he would have wanted to go on and was so happy when I thoroughly enjoyed it with my friends.

**Thanks to all the friends who were invited but unable to make it for a variety of reasons for their kind replies and birthday love from afar. You were all missed!!**

We started the weekend on Friday night with a big party with all the girlfriends who traveled in from out-of-town and my local girlfriends. Carolyn was able to arrive earlier on Friday so she helped Patrick with the tacky decorations. He had too much fun at Party City.


He thought it was hysterical to put a yard sign in the mound of unmelted snow. Just what the neighbors needed to see.

This is what I really thought it said.

This is not a flattering photo of the friends who attended - but it shows the fun Patrick had in planning. He had catered Mexican food and made homemade girly drinks and added more tacky "30" decorations.

This was his idea of fun - I put on the regalia for him and Amelia, but it all kept falling off.

Who knew 30 candles put off so much heat?


Trying to keep the poor kid away from the heat.

The gals heading into the city on Saturday morning.

This was Amelia's reaction while we were preparing to leave. Don't worry, she was comforted before we were gone.

Patrick had gotten my opinion on much of the itinerary, but in the end, it was entirely his hard work and ideas that created it. He thought of just about everything - car service to take us all into and out of the city, had me prepped with valet tips, directions, phone numbers and reservation information. He literally handed us a detailed itinerary and we just did what it told us to do. Perfection!

Our first stop was to drop off our bags at our fancy accommodations - the historic Waldorf Astoria. 
(This is what you get when he's researching prices 7 months in advance and finds a deal!)


We did a lot of wandering around, looking at all the "museum-like" displays and the art deco features.








View from our suite - good job Patrick!


Then we headed to the highlight of the weekend - a dessert tour!

First stop - Kee's Chocolates
We all chose a truffle - Blood Orange Dark Chocolate for me


Then the Cupcake Cafe

They are known for their fancy flowers

Walnut Cupcake with Maple frosting - yum!



The Little Pie Company


Sour Cream Walnut Apple Pie
the BEST apple pie I have tasted in my entire life. Our entire crew agreed that it was the best thing we ate on the tour and we might have shared, without hesitation, the one extra piece that was cut


rolled baklava at Poseidon's Bakery


cookies at Schmackary's

I went with "Green Tea Almond" which was not on this list and was super yummy. But we tasted each other's cookies and I think the Key Lime and Maple Bacon were equally delicious. I see some internet-hunting for recipes in my future.

Enjoying our 'milk shots' with our cookies.

We ended the tour with lemon bars at the Donna Bell Bake Shop - it was opened by Polly Perrette, the gal who plays "Abby" on NCIS in honor of her mother (who was from Alabama and they use her recipes!)


After this delicious tour, we scurried to the TKTS booth in Times Square to purchase the evening's show tickets. After FREEZING in the line for about a half-hour, we got tickets, and went to a lovely Italian dinner before seeing Motown. It was excellent and full of songs we enjoyed singing along to!



I used Patrick's fancy Hilton status and my 30th Birthday button to get us some free drink vouchers from the Waldorf Astoria. None of us are night owls, but we did stop at the hotel's Bull & Bear bar for our free cocktail before going to bed. Who knew that the bar was rated as one of the "top three" in the world by the New York Times?

On Sunday morning, Patrick had arranged for us to have brunch at this super fancy restaurant in the Palace Hotel. The hotel and restaurant were absolutely gorgeous - their decorator obviously had a thing for gold. :)





Apparently the chef is known for his creme brulee stuffed french toast - so 4 out of 5 of us went for it.

And then the staff brought out cake! after breakfast! so sharing was required

Our final fun was an Art & Architecture tour of the Rockefeller Center with a trip up to "the top of the rock"

With our earphones so our tour guide doesn't have to shout. But he did anyways.

Who knew all this art was about television and radio? I had no idea.

On our way to the top

Looking South

Central Park to the North

Times Square - the ball is teeny from this perspective

I was blessed with two gifts for my birthday - this excellent trip and Patrick's taking care of our kids alone. God was gracious and they were well behaved with no disasters; even Austin slept for a long stretch each night (which is still not the norm despite sleep training).

The whole weekend went by so fast and was full of great conversation, lots of laughter and too much food. And I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I do believe that Patrick already has a few clients if he wants to open up his own travel agency anytime soon. Thanks to those friends who were able to come - I hope it was as great a memory for you as it is for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment